Catalina Island Country Club
For 30 years, from 1921-1951, with only a brief break during the war years, William Wrigley Jr., an early owner of the Santa Catalina Island Company, brought his baseball team, the Chicago Cubs, to Catalina Island for spring training. The baseball field on Catalina Island was built to match the dimensions of Wrigley Field in Chicago. A clubhouse was also built to house the team’s lockers and provide a social setting for the players. Nineteen Hall-of-Fame players trained with the Cubs on Catalina Island, including such legends as Grover Cleveland Alexander, Dizzy Dean, Roger Hornsby, Joe McCarthy and Hack Wilson.
While only a plaque remains near the site of the field where the Chicago Cubs once played, the historic clubhouse is still used. Known as the Catalina Island Country Club, it houses the pro shop and lockers for the Catalina Island Golf Course. Though operated as a restaurant for many years, the building is now available for weddings and events. The original bar still stands and offers great display of Chicago Cubs memorabilia.