Below we have created a list of some great things to do on Catalina Island on your next visit. This list is designed to give you some quick ideas of what you can do on a weekend at Catalina. With literally hundreds of fun and exciting things to do on Catalina Island, the list we have put together represents a very small portion of the options available to you.
- Hit the Water - There are a myriad of things to do on the water at Catalina Island. Scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, jet skis, boating, sailing, sport fishing, glass bottom boat tours, submarine tours, para-sailing, swimming, ocean rafting, and more. If you like water activities, Catalina Island is the perfect getaway.
- Enjoy the Land - With over 75 square miles of land, Catalina Island has a wealth of land-based activities. Golf cart rentals, bicycle rentals, interior tours, walking and hiking trails, camping, zip lining, shopping, hotels and day spas are all available for your perfect weekend getaway. You have the choice to do everything or nothing at all, it's up to you.
- Special Events - Even with all the water and land based activities available to visitors, some people come to Catalina Island for the special events that go on throughout the year.
Things to Do on Catalina Island on the Water Catalina Island's wide variety of diving locations makes it ideal for scuba diving for all levels of experience. Thriving marine life open up exciting underwater worlds to divers and snorkelers. If you aren't comfortable diving or snorkeling, there are also glass bottom boat tours and submarine tours available which take you right to the action without ever getting wet.
Other exciting things to do on Catalina Island on the water include jet ski rentals, charter yachts, sport fishing charters where you can catch a Marlin, sailing, ocean rafting, kayaking, sea-trekking, scuba and para-sailing. There is even a water taxi service to take you around to different locations on the island by boat.
Things to Do on Catalina Island on the Land Catalina Island offers multiple locations to take in the scenic views on the 76 square acres of land that make up the island. Catalina Island really offers visitors the best of both worlds. If you are more inclined to stay in the city and enjoy the nightlife, Avalon has what you are seeking. With plenty of specialty shops, day spas, luxurious hotels, restaurants and things to do with and around other people, this side of Catalina will fit you perfectly. If you are more inclined to enjoy being away from others, you will love the interior areas of Catalina. Everything from grasslands, to ridgelines, to scenic vistas, to woodlands are all available in the interior of Catalina Island. With an easy to get permit from the Catalina Island Conservancy, you can wander off into the interior and camp at multiple locations throughout the island. The interior is filled with hiking trails, so the possibilities are endless for a relaxing getaway to the interior of the island.
Special Events on Catalina Island throughout the Year Below, we have created a list of some of the special annual events. At a glance, you can see that Catalina Island has a whole host of inviting special events for a great weekend getaway.
- January - Avalon Benefit 50 Mile Run
- February - Annual Avalon Harbor Underwater Cleanup, an Evening with Oscar
- March - Catalina Island Conservancy Marathon
- April - Annual Rubber Ducky Derby, Spring Fest, Annual Conservancy Ball
- May - Catalina Island Rugby Festival, Annual Silent Film Benefit, Avalon Ball, Mountain Bike Gran Fondo Festival, Taste of Avalon, Summer Concert Series begins
- June - Summer Concert Series, Summer Beach Bingo (Tuesdays & Thursdays), Kids Fishing Derby (Wednesdays), Stand up Paddleboard Festival, Restaurant Week
- July - 4th of July Parade/Fireworks, Summer Concert Series, Summer Beach Bingo (Tuesdays & Thursdays), Kids Fishing Derby (Wednesdays)
- August - Summer Concert Series, Summer Beach Bingo (Tuesdays & Thursdays), Kids Fishing Derby (Wednesdays)
- September - Santa Catalina Film Festival, Summer Concert Series, Summer Beach Bingo (Tuesdays & Thursdays), Kids Fishing Derby (Wednesdays), Catalina Island Women's Forum Wine Festival, Annual Festival of Art, Catalina Conservancy Half Marathon, Catalina Wine Mixer
- October - 2nd and 3rd weekends – Catalina Island JazzTrax Festival, Octoberfest on the Beach
- November - Annual Catalina Island Triathlon, Catalina Island Eco-Marathon
- December - Annual Shop at Home Night, Annual New Year's Eve Gala, Holiday Symphony Concert
With a wealth of special events throughout the year on Catalina Island, there is always something exciting going on for you to enjoy.
Take a look around our site to discover more detail about the activities and events listed above. The list of things to do on Catalina Island grows every year, making Catalina the perfect getaway location where you can escape the city and get on island time.