On behalf of the City of Avalon and Catalina Island, I wish to express my sincere gratitude to the Harbor Department and other emergency personnel who responded and cared for the injured parties resulting from an altercation involving three dogs that recently took place on Avalon’s Green Pleasure Pier. I also want to express my concern for the wellbeing of the visitors to the island who were involved in this unfortunate situation. Please be assured that the City of Avalon is working hard to create and maintain a safe and welcoming environment for all of our visitors and residents including those with four legs.
Avalon has leash laws and zones that regulate access to pets that are in place for the protection and wellbeing of all. Enforcement of those laws and restrictions will continue to be used to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all and I ask that you observe the following basics when moving around the island with a pet.
- Always have your pet on a leash or in an enclosed pet carrier
- Be in control of your pet at all times
- Keep the leash taught and maintain a firm grip on it
- Keep a safe distance from other pets
- Keep your pets away from Falconry activities
- Use the off leash dog park located at Middle Ranch
- Only service animals are allowed in the pedestrian zone of Crescent Street (between Clarissa and Metropole Avenues)